“Jurassic Pork,” anyone? How about “Harry Potter and the Deathly Mallows”?
Every year on or around April 1, the worldwide Edible Books Festival invites book lovers, chefs, and anyone who enjoys a good pun to create an edible piece of art that has something to do with books. On March 31, the Winnipeg Public Library and our Library Board are holding our second annual Books 2 Eat event.
The Challenge: Your creation must be made of edible materials and be inspired by a book in some way: pun on a title, refer to a scene or character, create a book or book cover lookalike… That’s the only rule – how you choose to interpret it is part of the fun!
How to Enter: Send an email with your name, phone number, email address and “book” title to Books2Eat@winnipeg.ca or mail the information to Books2Eat, c/o Reader Services, Millennium Library, 251 Donald St, Winnipeg, MB, R3C 3P5.
• Enter the appropriate category: Adult, Kids (14 and under), or Professional/Culinary Schools.
• The deadline to send in your entry form is March 23.
• The edible entries themselves can be dropped off on March 30 or 31.
• On March 31, all entries will be put on display and judged on various qualities such as “Most Bookish” or “Best Pun.”
• Culinary school entries will also be served at the end of the day, so bring your appetite!
Talks about cooking techniques featuring local chefs plus a food-themed children’s storytime & craft circle will be going on at the same time. All of this is absolutely free and open to the public.
Books 2 Eat 2011 was attended by over 100 people and received dozens of entries, including this Roald Dahl-inspired cake. Check out some more photos of last year’s fabulous entries on the Library’s Flickr account, and start planning your entry today!